Tuesday 20 March 2007

PEAT FREE COMPOST

Photo: Green comost could come from your compost bin.

As we only have a small garden I invested in one of those fancy coiled hosepipes recently. The length is only about 50 feet but it is more than long enough to get the jet of water to the farthest bed. The idea for the hosepipe is that it coils into a neat roll for easy storage. I have used it successfully on the plants for a week or two. The other day I was feeling adventurous and decided to clean the car with it. To maker the process more carwash like I had the brilliant idea of running very hot water through it. The consequences of this are a nice shiny motor but a coiled hosepipe that has lost its springiness. The heat from the water has straightened the pipe and caused it to get tangled every time it is packed away. Just like a regular hosepipe I guess!


PEAT FREE COMPOST MIX

Ian




I want to make up my own peat free compost mix for my hanging baskets. Have you a recipe I can follow? Regards. CB. Buncrana

Reply



For a basic compost mix, try the following:

72 litres of composted green compost, riddled through 16mm sieve.
36 litres coir or try experimenting with small bark chips
24 litres 6mm sharp grit
1 baked bean can (450g can size) full of Osmacote Exact 16-18 month 15:8:10
1 baked bean can full of 5:5:5 organic base fertiliser mix. (mostly chicken muck I reckon)


The green compost can come from the bottom of your compost bin. If the heat wasn’t intense enough in the compost you might find weed seeds still active in the mix. Check it regularly. I have used stuff out of the compost bins this year for the pea and bean beds. . The compost included potato peelings, which have all sprouted, and the plants are quickly taking over the beds. I don’t think spuds will look very good in hanging baskets!
Try the water retaining granules; they will stop the plants drying out on hot days. If you do not like the idea of using a chemical such as Osmacote then look out for an organic equivalent slow release fertiliser.






Horticultural.

No comments:

Other stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails